Laparoscopic-assisted malone appendicostomy in the management of fecal incontinence in children
Journal of Laparoendoscopic and Advanced Surgical Techniques
Introduction: The antegrade continence enema procedure offers convenient enema administration for patients with fecal incontinence and can be performed by a minimally invasive approach that provides shorter hospital stay, less analgesia requirement, and better cosmesis. We present our experience using this approach for fecal incontinence patients and technical modifications to reduce complications. Methods: Following successful management of fecal incontinence through bowel management using a daily rectal enema, 44 patients underwent a laparoscopic-assisted Malone appendicostomy procedure. We reviewed the diagnosis underlying the fecal incontinence, operative technique, duration of surgery, length of hospital stay, and postoperative complications. Results: The mean age at surgery was 8.6±1.0 years. The diagnoses included anorectal malformations (31), idiopathic constipation (6), Hirschsprung disease (3), and others (4). All the patients underwent a V-V umbilico-appendicoplasty. The cecum was plicated around the base of the appendix in 34 patients (77%); this step was omitted in 10 (23%). The median follow-up was 21 months (range: 3-51 months). Twelve complications were recorded in 9 patients (20.5%)-leakage from the stoma in 1 (2.3%), stomal stenosis in 5 (11.4%), and a combination of both in 3 (6.8%)-with an overall stricture rate of 18.2% (8/44) and leakage rate of 9.1% (4/44). Strictures were managed with minor operative revision. Plicating the cecum was associated with a lower leakage rate compared with the nonplicated group (0/34, 0% versus 4/10, 40%; P=.002). All patients were consistently clean between enemas following their antegrade continence enema procedure. Conclusions: The umbilical appendicostomy provides a convenient and cosmetic location for enema administration. Cecal plication, which is feasible using a laparoscopic-assisted approach, significantly reduces the leakage rate. Stomal stenoses remains a problem, may be lessened by a V-to-V umbilical to appendix anastomosis, and are easily fixed with a revision. © 2011 Mary Ann Liebert, Inc.
Lawal, T., Rangel, S., Bischoff, A., Peña, A., & Levitt, M. (2011). Laparoscopic-assisted malone appendicostomy in the management of fecal incontinence in children. Journal of Laparoendoscopic and Advanced Surgical Techniques, 21 (5). http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/lap.2010.0359