A Novel Angiography Scoring System Predicts Improvement After Isolated Common Femoral Endarterectomy With Profundaplasty
Annals of vascular surgery
Femoral endarterectomy; angiography; profundaplasty; scoring system
BACKGROUND: Numerous angiography-based peripheral arterial disease classification schemes have been developed to stratify severity of preoperative patient disease, but few studies have correlated angiography-based anatomic classification schemes to postoperative outcomes. This study examined whether a proposed pre-operative angiography scoring system was predictive of outcomes after isolated common femoral endarterectomy with profundaplasty (CFEP). METHODS: A retrospective review was conducted of patients treated with isolated CFEP for claudication and/or rest pain at a single institution from 2016-19. Pre-operative angiograms were assessed quantitatively by 4 blinded surgeons across 3 domains: profunda stenosis, profunda disease length, and outflow disease severity. Table I describes the proposed angiography scoring system. Internal consistency reliability of rater scores was calculated using Cronbach alpha. Outcomes included clinical improvement, further interventions, major amputations, mortality, and mean increase in ankle-brachial index (ABI) at 30 days, and 6 months. McNemar tests, between-group t-tests, Pearson correlations, and linear regression were used. RESULTS: Clinical Outcomes 88% of patients (n = 22) had clinical improvement at 30 days; the remaining 12% of patients (n = 3) required further interventions. One patient (4%) required major amputation between 30 days and 6 months for recurrence of rest pain that had initially resolved after isolated CFEP. There was 0% mortality during the study period. Mean ABI increased by 0.15 ± 0.21 at 30 days, and by 0.06 ± 0.21 at 6 months. Angiography Scoring System Profunda stenosis score was associated with clinical improvement at 6 months (P = 0.04). A profunda stenosis score of ≥2.6 was strongly associated with 6-month clinical improvement (64% of those ≥ 2.6 improved, versus 15% of those <2.6, P = 0.15). Profunda stenosis score was associated with ABI improvement at 30 days (r = 0.73, P = 0.01) and 6 months (r = 0.82, P = 0.007). Profunda disease length score was associated with clinical improvement at 30 days (P = 0.002). 100% of patients with a profunda disease length score of ≥1.5 clinically improved at 30 days, versus 67% of those with <1.5 (P = 0.04). Angiography scores were not found to be associated with further intervention, major amputation, or mortality. Cronbach alpha for profunda stenosis, profunda disease length, and outflow severity scores were 0.90, 0.90, and 0.79, respectively, indicating strong internal consistency. CONCLUSIONS: This institutional angiography scoring system successfully predicts clinical improvement following CFEP. Higher profunda stenosis and profunda disease length scores were most predictive of operative success within 6 months. Future validation studies will investigate these outcomes in a larger population, and over a longer period.
Rodriguez, Stephanie; Mangipudi, Sowmya; Pomy, Benjamin J.; Nguyen, Bao-Ngoc; Sidawy, Anton N.; Amdur, Richard L.; Lala, Salim; and Macsata, Robyn, "A Novel Angiography Scoring System Predicts Improvement After Isolated Common Femoral Endarterectomy With Profundaplasty" (2022). GW Authored Works. Paper 843.
School of Medicine and Health Sciences Student Works